Friday, October 31, 2008

Early Season Thoughts

So, I usually do a season prediction each year... and I totally missed it this year. I know I've already had 3 nights of the season to influence my picks, but I'm still gonna do it. You'll just have to trust that I'm making the same picks that I would have before the season started.

Eastern Conference -
  1. Boston (no explanation needed. I bet they pick up a couple ring chasers late this year too)

  2. Detroit (returns everybody, young guns Stucky and Maxiell will be 1 year better)

  3. Cleveland (added Mo Williams. I also expect a big trade deadline splash with Wally's contract a la Kwame/Gasol last year)

  4. Orlando (Dwight another year improved, added Pietrus, plus the rest of the Southeast is is pretty sad)

  5. Philadelphia (Brand will make them compete, but they're still another allstar away from actually "contending")

  6. Toronto (Jermaine O'neal helps out a lot, but I doubt he stays healthy. Their bench is also pretty bad)

  7. Atlanta (8th last year, no reason they can't improve with another year of growth from all their youngins.)

  8. Chicago (This team had the 3rd best record in the east 2 years ago, and they still have all the key players. Last year was a fluke and they got rewarded with Derrick Rose. I think returning to the playoffs is a minimum expectation)

Western Conference -

  1. New Orleans (1 gm away from best record in the west last year. Paul and West will only improve and the Posey addition is surprisingly underated.)

  2. Lakers (I hate to admit that they will be good. If I wasn't so biased, I'd probably put 'em first... but my hate won't let me ;-)

  3. Houston (Injuries always a concern, but now with Artest, as long as they can keep 2 out of their big 3 on the court, they have a chance to beat almost any team in the league. If all 3 are healthy, watchout. Artest always has a honeymoon first year with his teams, so expect good things)

  4. Utah (Could still use some better interior D to be true "contenders", I like the move of AK off the bench though. Same minutes for him, but he gets a bigger/happier role)

  5. Phoenix (Amare/Nash/Shaq is still a formidable trio and now we actually have a bench. We'll prove D'Antoni was severly overated with a playoff series win over SA)

  6. San Antonio (Steady as always. Ginobili out the first 4-6 weeks make dent their wins a bit, but they'll still be there come April)

  7. Dallas (I don't consider them "contenders" anymore, but they're still good enough to make the playoffs. Kidd still has some left in the tank)

  8. Portland (Roy/Aldridge/Outlaw all impove 1 year. Oden will improve their D tremendously and Fernandez is the real deal. He's gonna be our Spanish Ginobili.)
Other Awards -

  • Western Finals = New Orleans over Houston (Yeah, Houston taking out LA in round 2, book it!)

  • Eastern Finals = Boston over Cleveland

  • Finals = Boston over New Orleans

  • MVP = Lebron James

  • Roookie of the Year = Greg Oden (see: I'm being honest, I'm gonna pretend he didn't get hurt in game 1)

  • Coach of the Year = Maurice Cheeks (It's always the turnaround team, never the best teams)

  • Most Improved = Jamal Crawford (beware the D'Antoni effect on stats)

  • Sixth of the Year = Andre Kirilenko (hey, he's a former all-star! 5x5!)

No comments: