Monday, December 8, 2008

Another one bites the dust...

So, Randy Wittman (MIN) is the latest coaching casualty in the NBA. McHale will assume the coaching duties for MIN in the interm. Fantasy wise, the only sure thing I think is that Kevin Love's value is gonna jump. Love is a McHale favorite (enough that he gave up Mayo on draft night, lol), and I expect Love back in the starting line up and playing close to 30 min. a game shortly. If he's available in your league pick him up.

Wittman's firing makes him the fourth coach to be fired this year, following P.J. Carlesimo (OKC), Eddie Jordan (WAS) and Sam Mitchell (TOR). I know coaches get fired all the time, but 4 coaches in just over a month seems kind of harsh. I wonder what the record is for number for coaches fired in a season (excluding off seasons).

For what's it worth... I found a post on Vegas Watch listing Vegas odds for first coach to be fired at the start of the season.

Lawrence Frank (NJN), 6/1
Sam Mitchell (TOR), 5/1
Mike Brown (CLE), 7/1
Mark Ivaroni (MEM), 5/1
Eddie Jordan (WAS), 8/1
George Karl (DEN), 5/1
Randy Wittman (MIN), 3/1
Field (Any Other Coach), 5/2

Speaking of Vegas odds, I didn't do too hot with my predictions last Friday. 11 games, 22 bets, and I only won 9/22. Pretty bad. I think I'm betting on too many overs. I chose 9 overs, only 2 actually went over. The thing is, the league average per game is only 98.29. So an "average" score should be 196.58. Yet the Vegas odds gave 7 over 200, 1 right at 196, and 2 below. They're probably accounting for chances of overtime, but anyhoo, I need to be more cautious with my optimism for NBA scores.

And today for your viewing please... Garnett being a jerk to 3rd string / rookie point guard Bayless of the Raptors. Garnett gets down on all fours to mock him on D and after a Bayless turnover, Garnett comes up to get in the rookie's face. If you didn't know, Garnett was also roundly criticized for similar unsportsmanlike shenanigans against Jose Calderon earlier this year.



One good thing to know though... KG is a jerk to his teammates too. Here's him making Big Baby Davis cry... same game.



If you wanna see more crying (by other players and not necessarily caused by KG) go to Hoop Heads North.

1 comment:

Andrew Liu said...

the lakers lost and no post yet? what's going on man? you better still be celebrating!