Monday, November 3, 2008

Fantasy Update... the 1st week

Okay, so the first week of fantasy is officially in the books. I went 3-0 in my three Yahoo leagues and 1-2 in my CBS leagues. Not to make excuses (except I am), but I really should be 2-1. In one of my leagues I started Camby who didn't play a single game and I lost by 11 fantasy points. Pretty much if I had started anybody else, I would have won, ah wells. My fantasy total of 275 was also 2nd best in the WHOLE league, so the only person that did better, I played against and lost to (figures).

CBS really is a whole different animal. The weekly rosters means there's not much you can do during the week to help/adjust your team, so all you can do is to sit back and watch and hope your players don't screw up. Here are my lessons learned... For injured players, don't just take and hope on rumors. Wait until they've actually played a game before inserting them in your lineups. A zero can really wreck you when there's only 10 starters and stats are averaged over the week. Also, guards are the most important position when drafting. I already explained in an earlier post why Cs aren't as valuable at CBS due to roster restrictions. Well, the inverse applies to Gs. You have to start 4 Gs and you can only draft 5 Gs (vs. 6 Fs), which means you have less room to gamble on prospects/injured stars during the draft. For whatever reason, there also seems to be a real lack of starting quality guards (those that can average ~20+ fantasy points) for your 4th spot. Meanwhile, 20-25 fpts forwards are plentiful. This probllem is probably also exacerbated by the fact that the 3 big name injured stars (Ellis, Ginobili, Arenas) are all Gs so that just pushes the ovealll G depth chart down 3 spots. Anyway, for anybody that will be drafting CBS in the future, I'd highly recommend going after the Gs first. In retrospect, ideally you'll want to lockup your 4G rotation by round 7-8 of drafting. Cheap Cs and decent forwards just seem so much more plentiful in the late rounds.

As for good pickups... one name, Ramon Sessions. Odds are he's already gone in your league or will be soon. If he's still on the FA list by the next Milwaukee game, then your league is fradulant. This guy is insane. He wasn't even active for the first 2 games of the season. Then Ridnour goes down and he starts and puts up 15 pts, 8.5 asts, 4.5 rebs, 2 stls over the next two games. Seriously, the only thing in his way is Scott Skiles' crazy rotations. Remember lastyear, he started 13 games for the Bucks and averaged 13 pts, 13 asts, 5.6 rebs, 1.7 stls. This guy can seriously ball. I'm kicking myself for not taking a flyer on him during the draft. I only managed to snag him in one out of six leagues. I even offered Aldridge and G. Wallace for him in two of my CBS leagues and were promptly denied... that's how high I (and other owners) are on him.

Other more likely available pickups...

JR Smith (pending AI trade might make him a starter in DEN)
Jason Maxiell (pending AI trade should give him more of Dice's minutes)
Rodney Stuckey (pending AI trade might give him more minutes to play next to AI since he's a point guard big enough to defend opposing 2s)
Cutino Mobley (FGA and minutes played all up with Baron out. Good short term play)
Darrell Arthur/Hakim Warrick (battling for PF minutes in Memphis. Both have had good/bad games, take a gamble on one)

No comments: